Thursday, August 13, 2009

Lolla started early - Heartless Bastards and The Decemberists at Metro, 8/6/09

My friends and I started our Lollapalooza weekend a night early by going to the Heartless Bastards and The Decemberists gig at Metro Thursday night.

Hearltess Bastards

I didn't really know what to expect from the Heartless Bastards. I think I had listened to an album of theirs maybe once or twice before the show. My boyfriend watched on of their sets online and wasn't impressed. I hoped for the best, and I was not disappointed.

Hearltess Bastards

It was a spirited set. My friends and I were discussing whose voice Erika Wennerstrom's reminded us of. I thought Nena. A friend thought Liela Moss. I'm picky about female vocalists. They need to have... I don't know, something, or else I just don't care. Unfortunately I can't put my finger on what that exact quality is. Whatever it is, Erika has it.

The Decemberists

The Decemberists. What can I say? They were incredible. So incredible that I used this show to free up a conflict the next day at Lollapalooza and instead ended up seeing them twice in less than 24 hours. But I digress.

The Decemberists

I am ashamed to admit that I don't know their catalog as well as I should. I have listened to their albums, but I don't know, for some reason there was always something else more pressing to listen to. That will change. Now.

Fans were able to vote on the set list online, and they seemed very happy. There were two covers. The first was a little bit of the song "If You Were Here" by the Thompson Twins in memory of John Hughes who died that day, which made me a bit teary. The second was a rousing rendition of "Crazy On You" by Heart, which was just as pounding and loud and awesome as the original.

The Decemberists

If you read this blog before, you know I do not do reviews in a formal sense. Translating my observations into words not a talent I possess. But I can say that both bands sounded amazing.

And thanks to my friend Amber for taking the Heartless Bastards photos!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nicely described and like the pictures. We saw both at Lolla. The Decemberists were one of my favorites - I really like them. They have a kind of formal, classic, erudite, almost mechanical manner that really fits their music. Strange but good. We went in that day with a guy that had tickets to the Metro but couldn't make it. He was so disappointed but happy in a way he could still see them at lolla.

11:42 AM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

See, the adjectives you use to describe then, I can't do that. That's why I just give basic observations, and don't pretend that I'm doing a proper review because I'm so not.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You do, and did just fine. I enjoy stopping here. I really (only me) liked Heartless Bastards too as an aside.

11:03 PM  
Anonymous entropicamber said...

BABY! It was an awesome show, wasn't it? As a major Decemberists fan, I was thrilled with their set. I am very glad I made it and got to enjoy them with you. :)

10:47 PM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

It was!!! I'm so glad you made it!!! So glad! Once I post all my summaries I think I will look to see if anyone posted videos from youtube and put them up here.

10:56 PM  
Blogger ROCKNROLLPIMP said...

words are over rated.
i need to listen to the decemberists more closely :(

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home