Monday, July 13, 2009

New Eats - Five Guys

I'm not a review writer, so please don't expect this to read like something out of a magazine or foodie blog.

For weeks my boyfriend and I were waiting for the new Five Guys burger place to open a few blocks from our apartment. Tim had read something about their burgers somewhere a while back and had wanted to try them. Two or so weeks ago we saw a sign on the window saying that they would open today, and decided that we were going to have dinner there tonight.

We weren't the only people waiting for it to open. It was packed when we got there.

The menu is small. If burgers and dogs are what you are looking for, this is your place. If you want something else, it's not. Burgers and dogs were fine by us.

The list of burger toppings is much longer than at most places. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger with A1, lettuce, tomato, and pickles. Tim ordered a cheeseburger with A1, mustard, lettuce, and jalapeƱos. We got an order of fries and a beverage. Total cost was about $18.

Tim went to the beverage station to fill our cup while I grabbed a table and waited for our order. When he came back, he told me something that immediately made Five Guys my favorite burger place.

"They have bottles of vinegar for your fries."

So I sent him back to get the vinegar, because he didn't realize I had ordered fries and didn't bring it back with him the first time.

Our burgers were very tasty. They are all made well done, which usually isn't my favorite, but it was very good.

The fries were great. They actually taste like potatoes. How good are the fries? Tim normally doesn't eat fries. Sometimes he'll have one of mine if we go somewhere new to try them, but that's it. He ate fries.

Overall we both loved the place. We only had a few minor issues, which in the grand scheme of things aren't very important and would never prevent us from eating there. First, as I said, the menu is small. We will go there when we want burgers or hot dogs, but it's not an all purpose place. Perhaps this is a positive, because what they do they do well. Second, the fries come in a cup, which became a bit of a pain when I wanted to put the vinegar on them. The foil the burgers some in isn't big (less waste - a plus), so it wasn't big enough for my burger and my fries. I had to eat my burger first, then spread out the fries. If I was using a cup of ketchup or no condiments, this wouldn't be a problem. And really, it's minor. I can deal with it. Third, it was loud. Maybe it won't always be this loud as it was crowded, but it was loud.

Still, those things are minor in comparison to how much we loved the burgers, topping options, and fries. We will be going back. We both gave it a 9.

2 Comments:

Blogger Al Iverson said...

I can't wait to check it out.

3:04 PM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

I hope you like it, now that I've talked it up!

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home