Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Is this my chance?

I have a bucket list. My bucket list is bands/singers/artists/whatever I want to see live, not before I die, but before *they* die.

I started my bucket list back in 1995. Those who read this who know me well have probably heard this story a gazillion times and are rolling their eyes. For those of you in this group, skip ahead a bit.

In 1995 a girl I worked with asked if I wanted to go with her to a Grateful Dead show at Soldier Field in July. I almost said yes because I was kind of obsessed with the Dead at the time, but I had a big trip planned in August and I wanted to save my money. Besides, the Grateful Dead played Soldier Field nearly every year. I'd see them next year.

So my mom and I went on our trip in August to tour some universities I was considering for grad school. We get into a city in Ohio pretty late our first night. I think it was Toledo. I turn on Headline News, and that's when I found out Jerry Garcia died. I found out on the first day of that trip I skipped the last ever Dead show for.

Because of that event, plus Kurt Cobain's death the year before (I never saw Nirvana either), I started creating my bucket list. I vowed I would see the artists on the list at the next available opportunity. Unfortunately I've become lax. Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty have been to Chicago several times since the inception of the bucket list, and I still haven't seen them.

Anyway, I found out today that an artist on my bucket list is coming to Chicago. Now, I have to decide, do I go see Moby?

The obvious answer is yes. But with my current work responsibilities and all the money I'm shelling out for Lollapalooza and the various preshow and after shows I'm going to, I'm not sure this is the right time.

I should just go. I almost saw Moby a few years back at Q101's Twisted 3847390284320 concert (I don't remember which one it was or what number they're on now, I just remember going to the first three, then two more over the years) when he got beat up in Boston and skipped the event. I was treated to Local H instead. I like Local H and all, but the whole reason I bought tickets to Twisted 3908439043 that year was to see Moby. And Public Enemy. But mostly Moby.

So now he's coming back. On a Wednesday. Weeknight shows have been difficult for me as of late. I might have to bite the bullet and do what I have to do for this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home