Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Trip to the supermarket: $134

Now, you may be asking yourself, how does a single woman living by herself spend $134 at the supermarket? And no, I'm not having a party or cooking a big meal or anything like that. How does that happen?

First, I bought some things that aren't usual buys for me. First, and most expensively, there was the pretty large Rubbermaid food container I bought. I had decided to make fruit salad, and I bought a honeydew melon to cut up for it (after having some at Tim's parents' house over the weekend I really had a taste for honeydew). I don't have a container that would fit a cut up honeydew melon, let alone the other fruit. So I had to get a new container. That was $9. There were others, too. I had to buy 7 light bulbs. One for the lamp in my living room. A 4-pack to replace some of the bulbs in the ceiling light fixtures in my bedroom and dining room. And 2 for my desk lamp. I only needed one, but that wattage only came in a 2-pack. And I also needed an extension cord. And a card and gift bag for my mom for Mother's Day. So I guess that's a bunch of stuff that I wouldn't ordinarily buy that increased the amount of my bill.

Let's just say that all that was about $30. That still leaves $100 in food and stuff for myself. Some of it isn't for me. For example, I bought some Carnation Instant Breakfast and cereal bars for Tim because he needs those sometimes. The instant breakfast will probably last him a couple of months minimum at my apartment because he isn't always there and doesn't have some every time he's over.

That still leaves a ton for myself. Okay, I admit, I hate grocery shopping. I stock up on stuff so I don't have to go shopping on a regular basis. I hate it. I hate the supermarket. I hate waiting in line there. I hate when I forget something and have to walk all the way back through the store to get it. I hate having to carry all the groceries up to my apartment. So I do it as infrequently as possible. I probably won't have to go shopping for a month, except maybe for milk.

Also, seeing as how I'm poor now, if things I use a lot are on sale, or if I have a coupon for them, I will buy them even if I don't need them right away. I bought a jar of pasta sauce because I had a coupon that was about to expire. I still had a jar at home, but why not buy the next jar I need when I can get it for cheaper?

So there you go. That is how a single woman can spend over $100 on groceries for herself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home