Tuesday, November 06, 2007

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Today it was cold enough for me to wear my new winter coat for the first time. While this turn of weather events may upset some people, it makes me happy. I love breaking out the winter coat for the first time. Usually it's not too cold yet, so I don't have to completely bundle up, but I need the heavier coat. I think I will take a longer walk for lunch than I was planning on, just to walk around Streeterville a little bit in my new coat.

Even though it should have been a great day, with my new coat and the sun shining and all, disaster struck as I got on the L platform this morning. My iPod died. It didn't freeze, it didn't do anything. The screen was off. I couldn't turn it on. I started to panic. I almost left the train station and went home to do a hard reset on it to see if I could resuscitate it, but then I thought that was a really stupid reason to go home and be later for work than I already was. (Please tell me I'm not the only person who thinks a dead iPod is an emergency.) This came at an interesting time, as a friend and I were having a conversation the other day about being more open to human interaction in the urban environment (there's a reason we were having this conversation, and that's a topic for an upcoming post - stay tuned), so here was my chance to be on the L and not be in my own little world. I guess I was still in my own little world, however, as I was doing the Sudoku and crossword from today's Red Eye during my commute. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, but I still felt naked without my headphones on. I tried to plug BD (my iPod) in when I got to work to no avail. I don't have iTunes at my office, so I couldn't try a hard reset. So I tried the reset in the iPod instead, where you hold down the center button and the menu part of the wheel at the same time. Sure enough, it worked! I was so excited, and then I became angry as I had tried that on the L platform when BD died (turns out he was only in a coma) and it didn't work. It worked in the long run, but I wish it had worked an hour sooner. Now, since it's been reborn, I think I need to rename my iPod. Suggestions?

9 Comments:

Blogger lucy said...

i would completely agree that a possible broken ipod is an emergency.

and, i miss the red eye, the trains, and you.

also, very much loving your playlist!!!

5:24 PM  
Blogger lucy said...

i think you should name the reborn ipod andy ;)

(or tino!)

5:26 PM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

I miss you on the train with me too, even though it means we miss our stop because we're talking too much!!! Andy would be a great name for my iPod. But maybe a little too on the nose. Perhaps ATG?

10:57 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

I'm a bit surprised Lucy didn't suggest Brandon. Heh.
Given the hundreds of times I have run back into the house to get the Gigabeat for a ten-minute drive, of course a broken iPod's an emergency!

3:28 PM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

Yeah, that is a bit surprising! Though I think she was keeping my current musical crush in mind when she suggested ATG :) Perhaps she should name one of her pieces of electronic equipment Brandon :)

You have no idea how much my heart sank when I thought I was going to have to shell out at least $250 for a new one. Thank goodness that didn't happen.

3:35 PM  
Blogger lucy said...

i've changed my suggestion...resurrected ipod should be named ANDON.

*wink*

3:42 PM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! ANDON it is! I also think that ANDON should always be spelled using all caps. Thoughts?

3:45 PM  
Blogger lucy said...

ANDON is our super-sekrit musical duo plot...and yes, it should always be in capital letters, right andrea?

3:55 PM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

Yes, that would be correct.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home