Sunday, November 04, 2007

Too many residents, too few machines

There are approximately 100 units in my apartment building, yet the laundry room only has four washers and four dryers. This doesn't seem like enough to me, but whatever, what can I do. It really peeves me when someone monopolizes all four machines, as if they are the only residents that matter. I don't know. Every once in a while I'll go downstairs to do laundry and see that all four washers are in use, and I'm more irritated when they are all being used by one person than when they are being used by two or more people. Perhaps it shouldn't matter because either way I have to wait to do my laundry, but it somehow seems less rude when four washers are being used by more than one person.

I got up early this morning to do laundry because I felt confident that the machines wouldn't be in use early on a Sunday morning. People who have lives wouldn't be doing laundry at 7:20 in the morning, would they? They wouldn't! No machines were in use when I went down there. I put laundry in two machines. One load consisted mostly of pants, the other mostly of delicate washing (predominantly undergarments). I only used one basket and left it on top of the machine with the pants, and I headed back upstairs.

About 40 minutes later I went back downstairs to put my laundry in the dryer, and now someone else was down there. Someone who decided to monopolize all four machines. She had removed one of my loads of laundry and put it on the dryer so she could use that washer. Fine. Guess which load she moved. That's right, the one with all the undergarments. And she didn't put it in the basket, although to be fair she may not have known that both loads belonged to the same person, and since the basket was on top of the other machine decided not to use it.

But seriously. There were two machines with laundry in them. One had a basket on top. From that alone, wouldn't it be easier to unload the machine with the basket, put the clothes in the basket, and move it over to a dryer than it would be to unload the other machine and move stuff over in armfuls? And I don't know about you, but if I know I need to move someone's clothes to a dryer and see there are two loads, I would rather move someone's pants than paw through their underwear. I mean really. This person must have gathered armfuls of our underwear (granted, there were other things in there too, a few shirts and stuff, but a lot of underwear) and moved them. And I have to say, when someone has the choice of moving underwear or pants, it creeps me out a little bit that someone would choose moving the underwear. Ew.

Drying takes longer than washing does. If my underwear is out of the dryer when I get back and the pants are still in the dryer I will be even more grossed out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

There is only one solution to this problem. If you don't want people touching your stuff, then you need to sit and watch it. Painful, but true.

There are creepy people out there. Dirty laundry seems to bring out the worst in them.

Bring a book or something else you can do.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home