Monday, November 05, 2007

I actually miss something about living in the suburbs

This is my favorite time of year, and Halloween was always one of my favorite holidays. I have found that my joy for Halloween has diminished somewhat over the past few years. At first I thought it was just because I got older, but that's not it.

I miss seeing children in costume.

Here in the city I saw many, many adults in costume, but very few children. As a matter of fact, the only children I saw in costume this year were two who live in my building. I think there might be 3 children under 18 in my building, though I could be wrong about that. I saw two of them. One was an alligator. I forget what the other was.

For the first few years that I lived in the city I would drive to my mother's house to pass out candy to trick-or-treaters. Officially the kids are only supposed to go trick-or-treating while it is still light out, and my mom would still be at work then. Of course there are tons of kids who go trick-or-treating after dark, probably because their parents weren't home from work to take them until then. But most of the kids came before dinner time.

Over the past few years, however, I have been unable to go back to the suburbs for Halloween. This year it was because I went to a concert. I'm not sure why I couldn't go in past years. I guess it just doesn't feel like Halloween unless I pass out candy. I miss it.

Oh well. Now it's November, and I have to start thinking about what I'm going to bake for Thanksgiving.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are tons of kids in the city that trick-or-treat. I see them mostly on different streets in Lakeview. I think it goes back to where the moderately (and I use that term loosely) priced single family homes are. Blocks with a lot of Condos and Apartments won't have many kids in costume.

My parents live in Niles and they had about 10 groups come by. My house had way more than that (but we were off in another part of the city, that I would say had 40-50 groups stopping by)

12:33 PM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

It looks like I was just in the wrong place then. My last apartment building was in the same neighborhood I am in now, and it was also a large building, so I had no trick-or-treaters there. I saw more kids in costume, though, because that building was closer to a school.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home