Thursday, November 15, 2007

I get a little warm in my heart when I think of winter

I have it on good authority that it snowed just a little bit last night after I went to bed. Good times! I always love that first little bit of snow, and I'm a bit sad that I missed it. Notice I said "first little bit of snow." I do not like when the first snowfall of the year is a blizzard, but that's another post altogether.

It's that time of year where it's cold when I leave for work in the morning, but it's kind of nice out when I go out for lunch or leave to come home again. What to wear? Do I wear a winter coat that will keep me warm in the morning but will make me hot later in the day? Do I wear a lighter coat and freeze in the morning? Do I wear layers, and if so, which do I remove first? Decisions, decisions.

One of my favorite things to do this time of year, when it's chilly for autumn but not quite *real* winter yet is to see how people are dressed for the reason I stated above. Particularly, I like seeing the people who aren't dressed for the weather. I usually give a pass to the students I see near my apartment who probably walk from their dorm room to a classroom 100 yards away. They aren't outside for very long and therefore can dress for the indoor temperature instead of the outdoor temperature. I think it's commonplace to see dudes with shorts and bulky sweaters on campuses all over the country, even when it's snowing.

No, the people I'm talking about are the people I see walking down the street, or better yet, the people who are getting on public transportation and going somewhere away from home. I imagine most of these people will be out for a while today. Today is cold compared to days we had recently, and I saw one woman in particular who is not dressed for it. She was wearing a pair of those bolero pants that were popular last year, you know, the lightweight baggy pants that come just below the knee. Needless to say her legs were bare. It was less than 40 degrees this morning! She looked like she was cold and uncomfortable. Duh! Am I a freak because I check The Weather Channel either online or on television every morning before deciding what I will wear?




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah. this is one of the reasons i like you. others have given me a hard time in the past because i check the weather online. they say "what, you can't just go outside or look out the window?" you get that the weather can change over the course of a day, or several days. :)

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home