Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I love/hate October

October is my favorite month. Autumn is my favorite season, and my favorite autumn weather arrives in October. And it finally arrived last night. I'm much happier now.

The real reason I love and hate October is that it seems that so many musical acts come through Chicago in October. You would think this would only make me happy. It does make me happy. I'm always happy when I can see bands I love. But it also makes me sad for two reasons.

1. There will be a lot of shows now and maybe in November, but it will probably slow down a lot from December through February.

2. Financially I will be able to see fewer of these bands than if these shows had been more spread out.

I was making out a list of all the shows I wanted to go to in October, and it's quite a long list. I want to see some of these shows more than others. Some I would be more willing to pay for than others. Really it comes down to picking and choosing. As a graduate student with a modest income this is my reality year-round, but it seems to be worse this month concert-wise.

I got a boost Monday afternoon when I got an email saying I had won two tickets to see last night's Patrick Wolf show at Metro. We arrived late so we missed the opener, Bishi. She did, however, come out and sing one song with him, so I guess I did see her after all.

Anyway, here's my list of shows I want to see. I only have tickets to 2 of these, though I'm likely going to buy tickets to a third. The rest I will miss. This list is just for the rest of October, today through Hallowe'en. I can't be bothered to go back to the first of the month and document what I have already missed. Here's hoping I win more contests for more free tickets.

11: Interpol - Aragon
12: Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Metro
12: Catfish Haven - Double Door
12: Spoon - Riviera
15: She Wants Revenge - Metro
16: Architecture In Helsinki - Metro
17: Justice - Metro
18: New Porongraphers and Emma Pollock - Metro
19: New Porongraphers and Emma Pollock - Metro
19: Bright Eyes - Chicago Theatre
19: Henry Rollins - Vic Theatre
19: Shout Out Louds and Johnossi - Logan Square Auditorium
20: UNKLE - Metro
21: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - United Center
22: Drive By Truckers - Park West
23: IAMX - Double Door
24: New Young Pony Club - Subterranean
24: The Figurines and Dappled Cities - Schubas
25: The Weakerthans - Metro
25: Queens of the Stone Age - Riviera
27: Rodrigo y Gabriela - Riviera
27: Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello - Chicago Theatre
28: Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello - Chicago Theatre
28: The Decemberists - Vic Theatre
30: Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello - Chicago Theatre
30: The Hold Steady and Art Brut - Metro
31: The Hold Steady and Art Brut - Metro

See, almost every day there's a show I want to see. Ugh.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice list, I hope to get out to at least a couple of shows this month and then some in November too. Just too many other things going on and I seem to be blowing off live shows a lot more lately than I did in the past.

I was supposed to dj a party across from Aragon for the Interpol show, but that fell through for a couple of reasons. Have fun!

11:41 AM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

I'll try :)

School is going to be killer until Christmas, so I think I may have a hard time going to shows I don't already have tickets for. So sad.

10:44 AM  
Blogger lucy said...

can i highjack a magic carpet & go to all those shows with you...i'll bring along invisible ink and we will write ourselves invisible to walk in the door to all of the gigs.

<3

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home