Thursday, February 27, 2003

Mr. Rogers

I was very sad this morning when I learned of the death of Fred Rogers. Like many kids in this country, I grew up watching his show, and I loved it. I still think Fred Rogers was one of the coolest people ever. Many people have made fun of me for that...but I think it's true. His show was so important. He was really one of the first people on television to try to instill self-esteem in children, and how to deal with emotions such as anger. His show may seem cheesy to adults, but I still believe that it's one of the most beneficial shows a child can watch. And, he was very important in the founding of public television.

One time, in the middle of the night, I couldn't sleep and went online. I stumbled across this page. It is a timeline of the life and career of Fred Rogers. I want to point out 1998, when he received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Daytime Emmy Awards. There is a video of his acceptance speech, which is absolutely beautiful. I highly recommend watching it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home