Monday, November 11, 2002

The Seven Samurai
I saw "The Seven Samurai" on the big screen at a theater that shows a lot of classic films. This was a great movie. The story was good. It had a lot of elements. The acting was good.

In case you aren't familiar with the story, "The Magnificent Seven" is based on this film. "The Seven Samurai" is set in Japan in the late 1500s. A small village is being terrorized by bandits, and they want to hire samurai to help them defend their village after the barley harvest. Most of the movie is the recruitment of the samurai and the battle with the bandits.

Only problem with the movie is it's length. 3 1/2 hours. While this wouldn't have been bad if I were watching it from the comfort of my own home or in a theater with big cushy seats, I was in an old theater with seats that are quite uncomfortable after the 90-minute mark. The length isn't bad film-wise, just comfort wise. This is a great film.

This is only the second Akira Kurosawa film I have seen. "Rashamon" is the other. Based on these two I look forward to seeing more of his films.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home