Wednesday, January 02, 2008

002/366 - We Three Kings

We Three Kings

When I was a little girl my favorite Christmas decorations were nativity scenes. The set we had at our house was made of white ceramic. It was plain, but in my head I sort of saw the figurines in color, as they should look if they were real people.

The nativity set at my grandparents' house was very colorful. They also had a stable with the star with some straw on top of it.

I would play with the figurines as if they were dolls. The three kings would come with their gifts, and I made up conversations between them and Mary and Joseph. I was probably 7 or 8 when I grew out of it. Now I wonder if my playing with them was sort of disrespectful, but I don't think it was. I was using my imagination and playing in a respectful way.

2 Comments:

Blogger lucy said...

i was in love with our nativity set growing up, so much so that when i was four or five i managed to lose joseph. my mom searched and searched for a matching joseph, and finally thought she found one at a small store by the beach. when we brought it home it turned out to be way out of scale, towering over the other figures.

somewhere between that christmas and the next we found the missing joseph, but i felt sad for the new joseph not being a part of it all, so we would put it up and stick him in the background. i asked my mom "who is he now?" and she said "i guess he could be god." so, god became part of our nativity set, and another figure i took delight in playing with.

so yeah, kind of disrespectful or sacreligious, i guess, but i think i meant well.

8:17 PM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

And at least you turned the second Joseph into God and not some random character or something. Thanks for sharing your story :)

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home