Wednesday, July 07, 2004

How come children love running through sprinklers, but as adults we avoid them?

This was the question Tim presented me with the other day. We had a discussion about why, as adults, we don't enjoy running through sprinklers. What changes? As children, many of us went out of our way to run through a sprinkler. We loved getting wet. Now we avoid them.

We talked about how, if we're on our way to work or to go out, getting wet after we spent all that time getting ready isn't exactly keen. I did admit, however, that if I were on my way home from somewhere, and it was hot out, and I wasn't wearing really nice clothing like a suit, I might go out of my way to have some fun in a sprinkler.

I thought about this last night as I left the gym in a downpour without an umbrella. The gym is about 2 blocks from my apartment, so I knew I was going to get wet. There was no point in running. I was going to get soaked. As I walked out the door I thought about how fun sprinklers were as a kid, and how also as a child I didn't mind getting wet in the rain (something else that has changed as I age). I was going to get wet, so I may as well try to enjoy it.

It was like a roller coaster. I would enjoy it for a few seconds, and then the wind would blow my shirt into my body, and I would shiver. It was cold! As my hair got wet water mixed with hairspray dripped into my eyes. Ouch! I had to rub my eyes in order to see. I was really glad that no one was in the lobby when I got there as I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and saw that I looked like a raccoon. I guess my mascara wasn't waterproof.

Hair spray. Mascara. The things that keep getting wet in the rain from being fun as an adult. I made a vow that the next time I'm just sitting in the house on a hot day when another downpour starts that I'm going to take off my eye makeup, pull back my hair, and go outside and twirl in the rain.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an adult and for me it's still fun running thru sprinklers or getting caught in the rain. Of course I don't do it all the time and have to be careful about getting sick but if I'm out and it rains, I don't mind it too much. In fact it makes my hair look great when I slick it all back, nature's styling aid and very cool look!! I guess also because as akid, my parents would get mad if I got wet in the sprinklers or rain, but now as an adult, I have a bit more freedom to enjoy whata I didn't do as a kid.

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home