Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Out with the old...

Last Friday was my last day at my old job. The job was located in Streeterville, near Michigan Avenue. I know that I have complained to many people about the pain it is to work in this area. Dealing with tourists can be trying, not to mention having to walk past American Girl Place every day.

But there will be a few things I will miss about the location (not to mention the actual place of employment and my coworkers, which is beyond the scope of this post):

1. Lunch at Flat Sammie's. Over the past year I got used to having lunch there on a regular basis. I love the Southwest chicken salad, and especially the brownies. I loved the fact that I could walk up to order and not have to say a word because the woman behind the registered knew exactly what I wanted.

2. Being near Michigan Ave. and Water Tower Place. Yes, this could be a curse as well as a blessing. I have to say, however, that it was nice to get all of my shopping done during my lunch break. Whether it was just shopping for stuff for myself or gift shopping, I don't remember the last time I had to go Downtown on a weekend to do some shopping. How convenient! I can't imagine having to deal with that on a Saturday or Sunday. As if the number of tourists wasn't bad enough during the week...

3. Proximity to the lake. It was nice to see Lake Michigan out of the conference room window, and to be able to walk along the lake during my lunch break.

4. Ease of commute. Just one train and a half-mile walk. Easy.

Obviously I still live in Chicago, so I could always go to lunch at Flat Sammie's or shop along Michigan Ave. According to Mapquest, the distance between my new place of employment and my old place of employment is 2.98 miles, so I won't be seeing these places during the week.

Every time a door closes, a new one opens. I now have a new neighborhood to explore, new things to see, new places to eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home