Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Lollapalooza, Day 3

For some reason we were late for the start of the Juliette and the Licks set. I think we were looking at t-shirts or something. Anyway, we made it over there eventually. I didn't really know what to expect, and I have to admit I just wanted to see how she would be on stage. I had heard a couple of their songs before and liked what I heard. They were great! A week or so ago a friend of mine asked who is the girl who is rocking right now, as Courtney Love and Veruca Salt had before. I think it's Juliette Lewis.

After that we met up with my friend and sat and listened to a few songs by The Cribs. The heat was the worst on Sunday, and coupled with the fatigue from the previous two days I was ready to crash. We moved over to David Vandervelde and sat in the trees. He was really good, and I wanted to stay for the whole set, but I had heard rave reviews of Rodrigo y Gabriella and thought that I must see them. Holy crap, am I glad I did. How do they do that? How do they make that sound with just two acoustic guitars? They are my new guitar heroes for life. One of the great things about being at festivals is the large crowd, so to hear them play "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd with the crowd doing vocals was definitely a highlight.

We stayed on that side to listen to Amy Winehouse, who came on 10-15 minutes late. You know, I love her voice. She was performing well. But I just couldn't get into it. For me I think festivals are similar to driving. When I drive I'm very picky about the music I'm listening to. Only uptempo stuff will work. I love ballads, but not when I'm driving. I'm the biggest Beatles fan I know, and I love "Yesterday", but I can't listen to it when I'm driving. At festivals I sort of feel the same way. I sort of need the music to be rocking or it's harder for me to get into it, no matter how good it is. That's why I knew straight off I wasn't going to see Regina Spektor, at least not at a festival. At Schubas or the Chicago Theater maybe, but not Lollapalooza. I don't know. Maybe I'm weird. Anyway, I think that's the reason why I couldn't get into the set. Tim agreed, so we hoofed it over across the park to hear Lupe Fiasco's last 3 or 4 songs. That was proper festival music.

By this time I was ready to die from the heat, so we grabbed some food, went across the park again, and I sat in the trees to eat and listen to the Wailers while Tim went back to hear Blue October. He sprinted back so he wouldn't miss the beginning of Iggy and the Stooges. This was my second most anticipated set of the weekend, and I really wanted to get closer, but I couldn't do it. I stayed in the trees, but had a decent view. He was so much fun to watch. He invited the crowd on stage with him, and it took a while to get them all off. I took that as my cue to leave and head over to Peter Bjorn and John.

We got to the stage Peter Bjorn and John were performing on just after their sound went out. After a few minutes I started to consider moving on, but I kept seeing people on the stage and it looked like they might be making progress. People kept leaving so we kept moving up. Eventually they came back out, and I think played a little over their allotted time.
Peter Bjorn and John
I got to see Nikki Monninger from Silversun Pickups for the third time when she and Dean from Apostle of Hustle came out to perform Young Folks with them. Their set rocked, which surprised me a little because I always thought of them as a quieter band. I was pleasantly surprised.

Then it was time for My Morning Jacket. We scoped out a spot, got food, and came back. They had the children's symphony orchestra on stage with them. Can you imagine what it must have been like for those kids? I wasn't particularly looking forward to My Morning Jacket, but they sure converted me into a fan Sunday night. So did TV on the Radio. This is embarrassing to admit, but before Sunday I didn't really get them. I have listened to both albums, and liked a few songs. The songs I liked I really liked, but then I really didn't like the rest. I didn't understand the hype. But I loved their set. I think I have to go back and hear those albums again.

I met back up with my fellow Moggers to catch Pearl Jam.
Pearl Jam performing
I was looking forward to their set, no question, but I think because I had seen them twice before I wasn't as excited for them as I was for Muse and Iggy and the Stooges. They were still as great as ever. Drum solos should always be accompanied by fireworks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home