Sunday, May 20, 2007

Who are the people in your neighborhood?

When Tim and I lived apart we saw much more of Rogers Park than we do now that we live together. We lived about a mile apart, and when we ventured to each others' apartments we would see parts of the neighborhood outside of a small perimeter around our own places.

I've always been proud of the fact that I get out and try to experience many parts of the city. I like seeing other neighborhoods, discovering hidden gems of Chicago. In the past week, however, I have realized the degree to which my exploration of the rest of the city leads to the neglect of my own neighborhood. Two things happened this week that made me realize just how much I neglect my neighborhood, so I decided that I want to start exploring my own neighborhood. You would think that someone who has lived in a neighborhood for 10 years wouldn't need to explore it, but clearly I do.

I started my exporation by hitting up Common Cup, a new cafe, on Friday. Tim ordered a mocha, and it was perfect. The staff was friendly. I'm sure we'll be going back at some point. Not only is there local art on the walls, but that art is of local places! It appeared that some work was being done in a second room, so I hope to get back in a few weeks to see how that comes together.

It was nice to go back up toward where Tim used to live and look around at the places that have come and gone. We found a new Jamaican restaurant and some bars we want to try. I'm hoping to spend more time in my own neighborhood and visit some of these places.

1 Comments:

Blogger Great White Bear, said...

Isn't it funny how often we over look the cool stuf right around us!

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home