Thursday, May 24, 2007

Instant karma

It doesn't exist. Or does it?

As I stood on the platform waiting for the Red Line after work this evening I was listening to a podcast from the BBC World Service that included a discussion about karma. As packed train after packed train rolled into the station, with me still on the platform as there was no roam for me to board, I started wondering if karma had anything to do with my situation.

A few minutes later some papers fell out of the bag of the man standing next to me on the platform. I immediately bent over to help him pick up his papers. After that, I wondered if my act of kindness would mean that I would be able to get onto the next train.

It was not to be. That train was full, too. However, I could see another train coming directly behind that one. That second train (the sixth to come into the station since I got on the platform) wasn't full, and I was even able to get a seat!

If this is what I have to look forward to regularly it's going to be a long summer.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know much about that type of karma, but maybe you need to work more on your elbowing skills to get on the trains faster :)

10:55 AM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

True! Often if one or two trains are full the next one is emptier, and most of the time I would rather wait an extra few minutes and be comfortable than pack myself on like a sardine. On that day, however, they were just all full. By the third one I should have just pushed everyone out of my way and boarded!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Great White Bear, said...

perhaps you will have to actively seek out opportunities to commit random acts of kindness just to improve your commuter Karma!

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home