Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Cicada Watch 2007: First Contact

I spent the long weekend in the suburbs.

As soon as I got there on Friday morning I could hear the cicadas buzzing, but I wouldn't see one until Sunday.

Dead cicada

This is a dead cicada that I saw on LaGrange Road. It was the first cicada I saw. Given that I was going to be leaving early Monday afternoon to head back to the city (where my boyfriend assured me he had yet to hear any cicadas buzzing, let alone see one) I thought I was going to be in the clear. But later Sunday afternoon, while driving, we saw two cicadas flying around. One of them flew into my car. Gross!

I spent Monday morning in my father's house, and only left to throw out the trash and to go home. I knew I would be leaving soon, and again I thought I would be free of cicadas for the rest of my stay.

Then Wrigley started going nuts.

What are you looking at?

This is nothing new. Wrigley and Mac, the other pug, spend most of the day looking out the window and barking at people going by, especially if they are on bicycles or motorcycles. She was barking at the floor, which was odd, so I looked and saw that she was barking at a cicada.

In the house.

I don't like bugs. I don't handle them well. And I hate cicadas. This was a nightmare. Why couldn't Wrigley attack it and deal with it for me? No, I had to take care of it myself.

I am an evil person, so I decided to step on it. I wasn't going to try to get it out of the house alive. So I stepped on it, but it didn't die! It just started limping and buzzing at me. So I stepped on it again, and finally it was dead. I got a paper towel, picked it up (while cringing the whole time) and threw it in the trash.

I felt bad that I had killed it at first. But I just couldn't deal with it. I am glad to be back in the city now. I hope cicadas don't show up here. I hate them.

4 Comments:

Blogger Great White Bear, said...

LOL..... still waiting for them here, but should be anytime now! I love the sound they make especially at twilight!

9:16 PM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

The sound they can make can be nice, if it isn't too loud. But in the evening it makes a nice little sound. I just hate seeing them. They completely freak me out!

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was biking in Wilmette last Friday, and it was an absolute nightmare. Biking and cicada-strewn streets just don't go too well together. Shudder! I really hope they won't show up in the city, too!

12:21 PM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

Ugh! I thought I was going to have to go into the suburbs tomorrow, but I don't think I will be now. It didn't dawn on me until after I said I would go that I would be heading into Cicada Central. I have yet to even hear them here in the city.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home