Friday, April 04, 2008

089/366 - Spicy mango shrimp

Spicy Mango Shrimp

Tonight my boyfriend and I had dinner at Summer Noodles and Rice. We first noticed the place back in about January, but it's been open since October. We thought it looked interesting at the time, and decided we want to check it out. Then I read in the Red Eye a week or so ago that it's a BYOB with no corkage fee, and then I decided we needed to go soon. Like today.

The first thing I noticed was that it was sleeker looking than most of the other small Asian restaurants on the Far North Side. Electronica music was being played, and that added to the atmosphere.

I had the spicy mango shrimp, and it was very yummy. My boyfriend had the panang salmon, which was also great. We brought a bottle of Ryan Patrick Naked Chardonnay that we bought at another recent local find, Taste Food & Wine.

Overall we really enjoyed the place, and we plan on going back.

2 Comments:

Blogger J said...

I've never heard of a BYOB restaurant, I don't know if they have those here. But that sooo looks yummy.

9:28 PM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

BYOB restaurants are really common in Chicago. I think it's difficult to get a liquor license, or costly, or something. But it's kind of nice because instead of the huge markup you get on wine when you buy it in a restaurant you can bring a good but cheap bottle there. Many restaurants have corkage fees, and differ as to how much service you get. They aren't allowed to "serve", so different places interpret that differently. Some will just bring you glasses and a corkscrew and you're on your own from there. Some will open and chill your bottle, but you have to pour. Etc. But it makes going out to dinner much cheaper. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of restaurants with liquor licenses here, but it's nice to have the option of bringing cheaper wine with you.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home