Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes

I've lived in my neighborhood since August of 1997, and I've seen many changes during that time. Most of these changes have been for the better.

The crime rate decreased.

There are more coffee shops (I have a bit of a caffeine addiction)

New restaurants - some mom and pop's, some fancier ones. I welcome both.

Through all of this, the diversity in my neighborhood doesn't seem to have changed. That's a good thing, since that is what I like best about my neighborhood. I love going to the park by the lake and seeing that most of the people there don't look like me.

That said, a memory of a now-gone business has me feeling a sense of mourning today. When I first moved into the neighborhood there was a music shop around the block from the apartment I was living in at the time. I think it was called Vibe, but I might be wrong about that now. It had new and used CDs. I sometimes looked at the new CDs, but usually I only browsed the used ones.

I still remember the first album I bought in there. I went back to the suburbs one weekend, and spent one evening hanging out with a friend of mine that I used to work with. She was a huge David Bowie fan, and I realized around mid-week, after coming home, that I had had "Suffragette City" in my head since the weekend. As shocking as this might be to people who know me well, back in the late '90s I didn't actually own an album with "Suffragette City" on it. So I went into the music shop, found a used copy of Changesbowie for cheap, and picked it up. I must have played that album on repeat for days.






It wasn't long before the music store closed. Given that on most of my visits I was the only customer in the store I can't say that I was surprised. Just saddened. It was vacant for a while. Now it's a Starbucks, and as much as I love Starbucks coffee, I loved my music store more. I wish I could just walk up the street and browse used CDs again. I could go to Reckless Records, which is a great store, but I miss having a music store so close to my home. Maybe it's a good thing, though, as I'm broke enough the way it is.

The reason I'm missing this shop more than usual lately is because my boyfriend managed to put the song "Ashes To Ashes" into my head a few days ago, and it's been firmly implanted. There are no signs that this earworm is going to be gone any time soon. That song is also on Changesbowie, and, well, I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home