Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Best $5 I've Ever Spent


First, I purchased a half-season of the NHL Center Ice package. Now, I have gone a step further. Yesterday I called the Cable Lady and had the digital sports tier added to my package. It's only $5 a month, so I figured what the heck. It includes three Fox College Sports channels. I have only had the package for 24 hours, but in that time I have already been able to see some CCHA hockey (it was a rerun, but still, the game orginally aired on a Fox Sports network I don't get so I wouldn't have seen it anyway), NCAA women's gymnastics (again, out in Washington State, so it's a meet that never would have been televised here), and some rugby in the Commonwealth Games. The Commonwealth Games!! A competition I always want to watch but never see because the United States is not a member of the Commonwealth. All of that for $5 a month.

I was amazed by that, but it gets better. I also get the Fox Soccer Channel. My dad would make fun of me for wanting this channel, but I like soccer, and have been trying to follow the sport more. That's tough to do when you don't have the soccer channel. So now I do, and I'm very happy.

Some people probably think I'm nuts. I'm writing my dissertation proposal, so why do I need more channels? Well, amazingly enough, I can work better with sports on the television that when watching anything else or listening to music (unless it's classical). See, extra cable channels helps me be productive!!! And I'm not even joking!

Primary Day

Yesterday was the primary here in Illinois, and I didn't vote. That's right, me, who always votes, who always encourages everyone else to vote, didn't. I didn't think it was right. For the past few weeks I have been avoiding the news. I think I was blue about my grandmother's passing, and I didn't want to watch anything that made me upset. Thus, no news. It extended beyond that. I'm one of those people who likes depressing movies, or movies that make me really emotional. I purchased Rent the day it came out on DVD, but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it yet.

But I digress. Back to politics. Because I haven't wanted to see any bad news, I haven't been watching the news or reading the newspaper much. I didn't know who all was running, and didn't feel my vote would be an informed one, so I didn't vote. I feel bad about it, but I didn't vote. During lunch at work yesterday we were discussing the primary, and when I said I wasn't going to vote one of my co-workers almost fell out of her chair. She was amazed that me, of all people, wouldn't vote.

I did read about the results in the newspaper today. It was the first time I read the newspaper in a couple of weeks. I just didn't want to read about all of the horrible things going on the world. I finally listened to some news on NPR on Monday, so I think I'm getting there. I'm wanting to get information again, so I think that's a good sign.

Hard-Fi - Cash Machine

Purchase Stars of CCTV by Hard-Fi.

2 Comments:

Blogger greatwhitebear said...

I really love watching college hockey! In some ways I like it better than the NHL. college fans are SO passionate! Hoping my Wolverines are gonna be on Fox Sports Detroit tonight!

7:11 AM  
Blogger redhairedgirl said...

If the game is on Fox Sports Detroit, then eventually I'll get to see it on Fox College Sports! Yay! I think the one hockey game I saw must have been on Fox Sports Detroit because they were talking about a Red Wings game being on later.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home