Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Wireless

I love looking at cell phone coverage maps because my little section of Illinois is always brightly colored, indicating good coverage. It always makes me sad to see some of those states that are beige, indicating little or no coverage. Then I worry that one day I will be driving a beige patch, my car will break down, and I will be unable to get help because I won't get a signal. This doesn't weigh on my mind very much, though, because I can't remember the last time I was on a beige part of the map.

Because I feel the need to be connected all the time I have a great data plan as part of my cell phone package. Horror struck on Sunday, however, when I realized that my phone was alternating between the network with which the data plan works, and the network with which the data plan doesn't work. I had issues Sunday night and yesterday morning. Throughout the rest of the day, all was well. My e-mail was working. My Internet browser was working. All seemed okay, that is, until I returned home and started having problems again.

So I called my provider, who then connected me to someone at RIM, and basically I found out I have a signal problem. We found this out because I am getting the right network in the kitchen, dining room, and part of the living room, but not in the bedroom or the other part of the living room. I don't normally take my cell phone into the kitchen with me, so I didn't notice the fact that it worked in there before. The kind gentleman on the phone said it could be anything. Construction in the area. Someone in the next apartment putting up a metal shelf and blocking my data signal.

I guess if I'm going to lose my data signal it's best that it's while I'm at home. At least I have my computer there. Thank goodness I'm not one of those people who have no phone reception in their home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home